A while back Vanguard published Dilbert’s guide (Scott Adams) to Personal Finance:
- Make a will.
- Pay off your credit cards.
- Get term life insurance if you have a family to support.
- Fund your 401(k) to the maximum.
- Fund your IRA to the maximum.
- Buy a house if you want to live in a house and you can afford it.
- Put six months’ expenses in a money market fund.
- Take whatever money is left over and invest 70% in a stock index fund and 30% in a bond fund through any discount broker, and never touch it until retirement.
The 8 step guide is fairly simple, but do you follow any or all of the principles (or disagree with any)?