Lets face it, most folks eat the same food products day in and day out (for the most part) and even as a self described “Foodie” I also fall right in line with the aforementioned way of eating. So here’s a quick list of foods I tend to eat very often (note: I try to have tuna only once a week given mercury concerns) and I think are also stellar on the ratio of protein/nutrients to fat/taste scale :
- Kashi Autumn Wheat – amazing taste and “fill you up” goodness. No corn syrup and a great, subtle sweetness. One box will last you a good 1.5 weeks and it’s friggin organic!
- Trader Joe’s Dried Prunes – provides a great energy boost and they have no sorbates unlike many other dried fruits on the market. The prunes work well as a mid day snack, pre tennis energy jolt, or in the morning with your cereal and coffee.
- Genovo Tonno (or tuna) in Olive Oil – great, healthy, protein (don’t ever, ever eat the stuff they put in water – it’s tasteless). Put this stuff on bread with a slice of tomato, some salt, and a litle extra olive oil and you’re in heaven.
- Fage Yogurt – my wife got me into this type of yogurt and it’s capital D-elicous. Also, it has tons of protein, low fat, and is nice and filling (because the water is drained and it feels silky and satisying).
- Bird’s Eye Shelled Soybeans – again, tons of protein here. Mix with brown rice or make some linguine and toss with olive oil, garlic, parsley, and lots of parmigiano reggiano (the king of cheeses).