(photo: our favorite Birra Moretti – the traditional lager)
Just the other day I was having one of those peaceful moments informed only by the serene; including an unusually warm and sunny weather, a wonderful match featuring Juventas and Udinese
, and a cold beer or birra
. I was consuming Birra Moretti, the iconic Italian brew with the old man with mustache on the label and, without knowing it, originally produced in Udine (the Fruili region of Italy) and the team taking on powerhouse Juventas in an important Serie A
Juventas went on to win the match and remain undefeated, while Udinese will live to fight another day. Needless to say, I went on to finish my birra and take a nap!
Birra Moretti was founded by Luigi Moretti in 1859 during Austrian occupation of northern Italy (and just prior to Italy being unified). Birra Moretti
was, until the 1990’s, a regional micro-brew sold in and around the Friuli region. However, the brand began to grow and is now sold in over 40 countries and hugely popular in all parts of Italy.
Our favorite Birra Moretti is the traditional, bottom fermented, lager. The Moretti lager is a great food beer and pairs well with pizza and simple dishes such as tomato salad, roasted chicken, sausage and peppers, and arancini or rice balls
. Moretti also produces “La Rossa”
or a, darker, double (barely) malt brew. La Rossa has a unique bitter aftertaste with a caramel like flavor profile. I like to consume La Rossa during the winter months with heartier fare such as eggplant parmigiana
, Italian beef stew
, and capretto.
One of the most iconic parts of Birra Moretti is the man with the mustache on the label and the story goes that Commander Lao Menazzi Moretti asked an older gentleman at an inn in the Friuli region if he could take his photo enjoying the beer. The older man replied by saying yes just as long as Lao buy him another drink!
(photo: prize giveaway includes a “soccer football”, Birra Moretti themed ice bucket, and red Birra Moretti long sleeve polo shirt)
In honor of one of our favorite Italian brews we’re happy to announce a wonderful giveaway sponsored by Birra Moretti and Scordo. We’ve hand selected the following products to be included in the Birra Moretti / Scordo giveaway :
- 1 Birra Moretti branded football that looks like, yes, a soccer ball!
- 1 Birra Moretti branded long sleeve polo shirt (color: red)
- 1 Birra Moretti branded ice bucket
Here’s how to enter:
- Prize Giveaway includes one package containing all of the items listed above (3 total items); one lucky winner will be selected.
- Specific actions: 1. leave a comment under this post on your favorite beer and food pairing; great if it’s Italian but it doesn’t need to be, 2. become a fan of Scordo on Facebook, and 3. become a fan of Birra Moretti USA on Facebook. If you’re already a fan of Scordo and/or Birra Moretti USA on Facebook please share the page with your family and friends (take a screen grab for documentation and leave a comment as well).
- Only one entry per person please.
- The contest is open until 12 midnight on 2/8/2012 and a single random user will be picked via Random.org (sorry contest only open to folks from the US given shipping logistics). The winner will be announced immediately on Twitter (so please follow us) and on Scordo.com by 5PM on Monday, 2/9/2012.
- Please use a valid email address when leaving a comment so I can contact you just in case you’re the lucky winner (I’ll need your shipping address). If you become a fan of Scordo.com on Facebook be sure to leave a comment on our Wall or we will not know you’ve become a fan (reference the giveaway please)!
- Birra Moretti USA will send out the package during the fourth week of February, 2012.
(photo: traditional Birra Moretti lager on the left and “La Rossa” Birra Moretti on the right)