Let’s do a straight recipe today – Italian Broccoli Bean Soup:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Broccoli (including peeled stems)
- Cranberry Beans
- 6 cups of fresh, filtered, water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot and saute diced onion and garlic for about 10 minutes. Add 2 cups of fresh cranberry beans (canned beans are convenient but the texture, flavor, and quality is not as good as fresh beans) and 6 cups of water. Cook until the beans are tender (about 1 - 1½ hours). Add Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Next, add about 4 cups of steamed broccoli and cook for 8-10 minutes. Puree the mixture using a hand blender. Add grated cheese, a splash of fresh extra virgin olive oil, and a bit of fresh parsley.
The soup pairs well with a glass of Ciro Librandi Bianco from Calabria.