(photo: an Italian tuna sandwich with tomato salad prepared with Pace da Poggio Etrusco extra virgin olive oil)
As many of you know we keep plenty of high quality tuna in olive oil in our Italian pantryat all times! And we usually prepare our tuna in two ways: 1. as a stand alone salad to be consumed with olives, cheese, and salumi or 2. as a simple Italian tuna sandwich combined with high quality bread.
- 1 can of tuna preserved in olive oil (search our site for our guide to Italian tuna in oil)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- Red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Our Italian tuna salad is very easy to prepare as you can tell from the single sentence above and pairs well with a tomato salad. We used a Balthazar baguette for our bread and organic Pace da Poggio Etrusco extra virgin olive oil from a 15 acre olive farm near Montepulciano, Italy (Siena).