Halibut is a white, firm fleshed, fish that has a sweet and delicate flavor. Our seared halibut with tomatoes, scallions, and white wine sauce is easy to make and can be prepared in under 15 minutes.
Halibut is also a nutrient-dense fish with high levels of protein, including minerals such as selenium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium. Moreover the fish is abundant in the B vitamins, B12, niacin, and B6; and most importantly, omega-3 essential fatty acids.
Our seared halibut recipe can be paired with a crisp, dry, white wine or a clean lager.
- 1-1.5 pounds of halibut (skin remove), but into 2 inch width pieces.
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Splash of dry white wine
- Juice of one lemon
- Butter, salted (to taste)
- 2 scallions, finely diced
- 1 large tomato (very ripe) and with seeds removed, finely diced
- Begin by adding a bit of olive oil to a large fry pan. Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper and sear on both sides for 3-4 minutes. After the fish is cooked move to a clean plate and add a bit of fresh oil to to pan. Next, add the diced tomatoes, scallions, and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the ingredients begin to break down and soften.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and lemon juice. Cook for 4-5 minutes to burn off the alcohol in the wine and add the butter. Stir well and add the fish back to thge pan. Warm the fish (about 1-2 minutes) and serve on a clean white plate.