In our house, salads, of one sort of another, make an appearance 3-4 times per week. We often consume peppery arugula with crispy fennel, romaine with feta, ripe tomatoes, and black olives, or Boston lettuce with red onion. The salads often follow a hearty bowl of soup made with farro, rice, or cut pasta and is served alongside fresh bread.
One recent salad creation included Arugula, ChickPea, Red Onion, Fennel, Tomato, and Cucumber. The salad dressing was simple and featured extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, Kosher salt, and plenty of freshly milled black pepper. We served a few pieces of thickly cut whole wheat toast underneath the salad to soak up the delicious leftover dressing.
- Wild arugula
- 1 fennel bulb sliced into thin strips
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber (with seeds and skin removed), sliced into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup of chickpeas
- 4-5 tablespoons of feta cheese
- 1 ripe tomatoes cut into ½ inch chunks
- extra virgin olive and red wine vinegar dressing
- Cut the ingredients into a large bowl and drizzle dressing over the ingredients. Mix well and serve.