Bringing your lunch to work every day is one of the easiest ways to save money and control your diet (trust me, you don’t want Sal at the local deli making your hero sandwich). So, when the Canadian, frugal living, blogger SaverQueen asked me to do a guest blog post for SaverQueen.com, a make your own lunch entry came immediately to mind!
Here’s an excerpt from the guest post (make sure to click through to Saverqueen.com to read the rest of the article):
I’ve been “bringing my lunch to work” since I was 5. The habit started in Kindergarten when my mother used to pack my chicken cutlet sandwiches for me; now, 27 years later, I’m still packing my own lunch and bringing it to work – the only difference is that I have to do it myself (Mom, if you’re reading, please feel free to whip up a few sandwiches)!
Packing your own lunch has many benefits and not just the obvious money saving advantages, consider the following before purchasing your lunch at your corporate cafeteria or local pizzeria:
1. You can control calories, fat, salt (nutritional content) if you bring your lunch.
2. You can choose the quality of ingredients by making lunch at home.
3. You can control portion size, if you pack your own lunch.
4. You can control the flavor and spices of your lunch (in other words, you can make it just like you want it).
5. You’re helping the environment by not eating off paper plates, plastic forks/spoons, Styrofoam cups, etc. (if you use re-usable containers and lunch bags).