The very best pasta recipes are centered on minimal, high quality, ingredients with superb preparation. Take the pasta recipe for rigatoni with zucchini, mushrooms, and red onion and you’ll experience a perfect, and synchronous, marriage of starchy pasta with earthy mushroom and grassy zucchini. Add a dash of Italian anchovy sauce, high quality extra virgin olive oil, and freshly grated Grana Padano and you’re in pasta heaven.
- Handful of Creminelli or stock mushrooms, sliced into 1/4 thick pieces
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1.5 inch long pieces
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- A dash of Colatura di Alici (Italian fish sauce made with anchovy) – optional
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Grana Padano
- 1/3 of a pound of Colavita large rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 a small red onion, cut into 1.5 long pieces
In a large pan, add the extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes (saute for 5- minutes on medium heat). Next, add the zucchini and onion (season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper) and cook for 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, some additional Kosher salt, and saute for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to loose their moisture . Cook the large rigatoni al dente and drain the pasta well (saving some of the pasta water). Add the pasta to the pan with the condiment or zucchini and mushrooms mixture and mix well. Add a few drops of the Colatura di Alici (note it’s salty) and finely chopped parsley and mix again. Drizzle some additional extra virgin olive oil and plate. Grate some Grana Padano over the finished dish and serve with a crisp sauvignon blanc.