Our version of homemade ice cream cake incorporates very good strawberry gelato, sponge cake, and whipped cream. We were inspired by an ice cream cake we consumed at a pasticceria in Bagnara Calabra during our extended summer vacation in 2010; the cake was made with local gelato, freshly whipped cream, and luscious strawberries.
The ice cream cake recipe below can be made with any good, high quality, ice cream but we suggest a brand like Breyer’s which is made with natural ingredients and a has relatively lower fat content (we find premium American brands like Haagan-Daz and Ben and Jerry’s to be unnecessarily dense and high in butterfat).
- 2 pints of strawberry gelato ice cream
- Vanilla Sponge Cake
- 1 pint of vanilla gelato ice cream
- 2 quarts of heavy cream
- Handful of sliced strawberries
- Cut sponge cake in half horizontally to make two layers. Move one layer to the bottom of a 9-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
- Place the strawberry and vanilla ice cream in the bowl of an stand mixer. Set the mixer on low (using the paddle attachment) until the ice cream becomes spreadable. Spread ice cream over cake; top with second layer of sponge cake. Transfer cake to freezer for 20 minutes.
- Spread ice cream over the top layer of the cake, forming large swirls. Whip the heavy cream to create whipped cream (adding fine sugar to your taste). Spread the whipped cream on the top layer of your cake.
- Freeze until completely hardened. Placed sliced strawberries on top of cake.