I love making salads from leftovers in the refrigerator and because we are now in a recession I can tell you all about it and not feel cheap! Here’s a salad I put together yesterday and it was not only incredibly tasty, but it filled me up way past my regular dinner time.
– 1 head of Romaine lettuce
– ½ red pepper
– 2 teaspoons of fresh ricotta (from an Italian deli or specialty shop)
– 1 large stalk of celery
– 2-3 radishes
– 1 bunch of cilantro
– 1 handful of green/black Provencal olives
Wash the head of Romaine lettuce well and spin dry. Chop the lettuce into inch size pieces (I like to run my knife down the middle of the stalk so my pieces are not too big). Chop your red pepper, radish, and celery into bite size pieces (washing the veggies before cutting). Take the fresh ricotta (with two spoons) and try and separate the large clumps into smaller pieces, so you get a bit of ricotta in each bite. Add the finely chopped cilantro and olives (I don’t remove the pits; just remember they’re in the salad!).
– substitute the red wine vinegar for balsamic vinegar
– omit the mustard
– add the juice of ½ a lemon and a pinch of dry oregano
Mix well and enjoy with a piece of whole wheat bread.