Monacini cookies are a staple of Italian Pasticceria. The light and delicious Monacini are dolcetti composed of two soft round cookies filled with apricot jam and dunked on one side in dark chocolate. We especially the cookies in the morning with a good cup of coffee or as an afternoon snack.
We also think that they would make an excellent cookie to include in your holiday cookie baking routine, thought we’re unsure whether they’d be considered traditional Christmas cookies or not.
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 packet of yeast
- Apricot jam
- Dark chocolate
- 100 grames of sugar
- 130 grams of softened margarine
- 2 eggs
- 300 grams of flour, 00 designation if you can locate it
- 1 pinch of salt
- Incorproate the butter, pinch of salt, eggs and sugar. Thereafter, add the flour, milk, vanilla and yeast. Mix well and let stand at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Put the mixture in a pastry bag and form shape on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper; the cookie thickness should be about 1 inch. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. After removing from oven, let rest until completely cooled.
- Once cooled, proceed with the filling one side of the cookie with apricot and joining the two cookie. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and dip ½ the cookie in chocolate, per the photo.
- The recipe will make about 20 cookies.